Friday, January 18, 2008

Out of the mouth of babes...

... humility thou shalt be taught. - the book of Life.


"I've had a lesson in humility today. Thanks Quentin. "

Well like any other writer out there, that line is just a cheap trick to catch your attention and Quentin probably won't be reading it for a long time cause the dude is just 7 years old and probably finds the wheel he's broken of a toy car more interesting than any blog.

Allow me to introduce you. Quentin is 6 going on 7, he's bloody hyperactive, got a sharp mind in that head, a will strong enough to bruise an elephant, enjoys drain hopping*, rubbing himself against a dirty wall because it gives his mom more clothes to wash and has enough strength to hang off my left arm for the better part of half an hour. (I've got the bruise to proof it.) and guess what, the dude reminds me of a younger myself.

Quentin always has questions to ask, new tricks to try and surprises to spring. Sometimes these go well, sometimes they don't. But the thing which is most endearing is that all of these spring from a sincere attempt to understand the big world around him. To him, there are things in our world which shouldn't be the way they are because they stand in the way of him having harmless fun. He doesn't quite comprehend fully yet the social norms which exist around him, this is what makes him question them. And also what makes working with him a tad nerve wrecking sometimes.

Dealing with Quentin at various times takes patience as deep as a 100 foot well, the understanding of a sage, a professional clown's sense of humor, and the firmness of a vice cop. Before the first time I worked with him, I had always thought that I had most of that stuff. Two hours later, any myths of having achieved those qualities were quite firmly dispelled.

Thanks Quentin for teaching me I still have quite some way to go. LoL, fatherhood scares the hell out of me.

p.s. this is a post backdated to june 07 which I never published.

No comments: