Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Warning

This is written as a warning to those around me who, whether with a good motive or not, counsel me and when it fails, attempt to coerce me in a particular course of action. This is a statement of the process my mind goes through before embarking on a course of action.

If I do choose to ignore a certain counsel, do not think that I'm ignorant of the realities or risks which accompany this course. I'm not. I consider all counsel given. But in the end, as a free moral agent, depending on the priorities that I've set and the existing conditions, I may or may not choose to follow a certain set of guidelines. In the end, I believe that my actions are between me and my God and between me and the persons affected.

I have differing priority levels for different principles. All of them are weighted differently, some are influenced by circumstances, most are not. They're personal principles dictated by several things, among them firstly, my religion, secondly my familial considerations, thirdly financial and practical considerations. If I've made a decision, then it is the best that I believe it to be at that particular point in time, all other advice to the contrary taken into account.

Do not assume that I'm bloated on my own knowledge and assumptions. That's very very risky ground. When counselled, the first thing I do is question myself and the second is I do my research. If I'm proved clearly wrong then a course change will occur. You can attempt to convince me with additional proof but I do not appreciate coercion.

This declaration also states that I hold myself as ultimately responsible only to God and the agents which I choose. Any normal human has to make judgements at many points in their life. My judgements are guided by various factors but made by me. The consequences are mine to bear. If I choose a certain course, then yes, I am prepared to bear those consequences. Crying over spilt milk is not my thing.

Lastly, I do not have the time or the inclination to deal with such attempts. I will walk away. Don't push me to that. Even if you don't have faith that I'm have taken the right choice, let me assure you that I can turn my back on whatever it is and I can walk away. While that would be a very radical action, ask the select few who know me well, and know that painful radical choices are not something I fear.

No comments: